Release:2015, Vol. 1. №3(3)
About the author:,
Abstract:The article deals with the reception of Jean Bodin’s political ideas in the works of thinkers of the pre-revolutionary and revolutionary England. Bodin’s theory of sovereignty is an essential part of Thomas Hobbes’ doctrine. This may be verified in the theory of civil obedience, as it is reflected in the works of both authors. The author of the article does not only attempt to verify this hypothesis by comparing the subjects and issues raised in the works of Bodin and Hobbes, but also to trace the influence of Bodin’s theory on other authors who have taken center stage in the definition of the basic concepts of modern legal and political thought. The analysis of the relationship between the political traditions of France and England helps us to understand the presentation of the ideal political system of European thinkers of the early modern period.
1. Skinner, Q. The Foundation of Political Thought. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1978. Vol. 2. 432 p.
2. Kondratyev, S.V. Korolevskaja vlast’ v traktovke juristov predrevoljucionnoj Anglii [Royal power in the treatment of lawyers of prerevolutionary England] // Evropa. Mezhdunarodnyj al’manah (Europe. International Almanac). Tyumen: Tyumen State University Publishing House, 2002. Vol. II. Pp. 98-125. (in Russian).
3. Salmon, J. H. M. Bodin and the monarchomachs // Jean Bodin. Verhandlungen der internationalen Bodin Tagung in München. München, Beck: Verlag C. N. Beck München, 1973. P. 359-370.
4. Burgess, G. Bodin in the English Revolution // The reception of Bodin / ed. by Howell A. Lloyd. Brill, 2013. 467 p.
5. Mosse, G. L. The Infl uence of Jean Bodin’s «République» on English Political Thought // Medievalia et Humanistica. 1948. № 5. P. 73-83.
6. Bayazitova, G. I., Mityurеva D.S. Ideja patriarhal’noj vlasti vo francuzskoj i anglijskoj politiko-pravovoj mysli rannego novogo vremeni [The idea of patriarchal authority in the French and British political and legal thought of early modern period] // Tyumen State University Herald. 2013. № 2. Pp. 61-66. (in Russian).
7. Teslya, A. A. Jakov I i Robert Filmer: politicheskaja doktrina absoljutizma [James I and Robert Filmer: political doctrine of absolutism] [Electronic resource] // Chronos. 2006. URL: http://www.hrono.ru/statii/2006/teslya_yakov.php (date of access: 20.11.2014). (in Russian)
8. Bodin, J. Les six livres de la République. Paris.: Fayard. 1986.
9. Spelman, J. Certain Considerations upon the Duties of both Prince and People. Oxford: Leonard Lichfi eld, 1642.
10. Lamont, W. Marginal Prynne 1600-1669. London: Routledge & Kegan Paul. 1963. 250 p.