About the authors:
Elena N. Yarkova, Dr. Sci. (Philos.), Professor, Department of Philosophy, Tyumen State University; firstname.lastname@example.org
Yuri V. Larin,
Alexander V. Pavlov,
The article studies the problem of interrelation between culture
and civilization and three approaches to the problem are presented: the mediation
approach (E. Yarkova), the culture-сentric approach (Yu. Larin) and the normative
approach (A. Pavlov). The authors analyze the logic-conceptual aspects of the problem
of interrelation between culture and civilization and study the process of logical
formation of various interpretations concerning the interrelation of these two concepts.
A supposition is put forward that the inverse logic which absolutizes polar concepts is
being superseded by the mediation logic which is aimed to establish relations among
different concepts. Various interpretations of the interrelation between culture and
civilization are considered and the general review of the major theories is made.
The authors postulate the generating function of the concept of culture in the framework
of modern science; the object of studies concerning the concept of civilization is
formulated and the mechanism of its formation is analyzed. Finally, a conclusion is
made about a high relevance of such studies for practice.
1. Rikkert, G. Sciences about nature and sciences about culture / In: Kul'turologiia XX
vek: Antologiia [Cultural science the 20th century: Anthology]. Moscow, 1995. (in Russian).
2. Engels, F. The origin of the family, private property and state / In: Marx K., Engels F.
Izbrannye proizvedeniia. V 3-kh tt. T. 3 [Marx K., Engels F. The selected works. In 3 vol.
Vol. 3]. Moscow, 1986. (in Russian).
3. Freud, Z. Psikhoanaliz. Religiia. Kul'tura [Psychoanalysis. Religion. Culture]. Moscow,
1992. (in Russian).
4. Tatlor, E.B. Pervobytnaia kul'tura [Primeval culture] Moscow, 1989. (in Russian).
5. Danilevskii, N.Ia. Rossiia i Evropa [Russia and Europe]. St-Petersburg, 1995.
6. Shpengler, O. Zakat Evropy. Tom I [Decline of the West. Vol. 1]. Novosibirsk, 1993.
7. Berdiaev, N.A The will for life and will for culture / In: Smysl istorii [Sense of history].
Moscow, 1990. Pp. 162-174. (in Russian).
8. Braudel, F. History of Civilizations. N.Y.: Alien Lane — Penguin Press, 1994.
9. Loifman, I.Ya. Mirovozzrencheskie shtudii: Izbr. raboty [World outlook studies:
selected works]. Ekaterinburg, 2002. (in Russian).
10. Huntington, S. Stolknovenie tsivilizatsii [The clash of civilizations]. Moscow, 2003.
11. Kutyrev, V.A. Collision of civilized cultures as a reason and the soil for the international
terrorism. Vek globalizatsii — The century of globalization. 2009. № 2. Pp. 92–102.
12. Bertilsson, M. Rebirth of nature: consequences for category social. SotsIs — Social
Studies. 2002. № 9. Pp. 118–128. (in Russian).
13. Bodriyyar, Zh. V teni molchalivogo bol'shinstva, ili Konets sotsial'nogo
[In the shadow of the silent majority, or the end of the social]. Ekaterinburg, 2000.
14. Bourdieu, P. Sotsiologiia sotsial'nogo prostranstva [Sociology of social space].
Moscow; St-Petersburg, 2007. (in Russian).
15. Elias, N. O protsesse tsivilizatsii. Sotsiogeneticheskie i psikhogeneticheskie
issledovaniia. V 2-kh tt. [About the civilization process. Sociogenetic and psychogenetic
researches In 2 vol.]. Moscow; St-Petersburg, 2001. (in Russian).
16. Kozlovskii, V.V. Norbert Elias’s figurative sociology. Zhurnal sotsiologii i sotsial'noi
antropologii — A journal of sociology and social anthropology. 2000. № 3 (3). Pp. 40–59.