About the author:
Tatyana I. Borko,
Dr. Philos. Sci., Professor, Department of Foreign Literature, Institute for the Humanities, Tyumen State University
The author analyzes the role of emotions in establishing and retaining
social norms of the society. Ritual behavior has biological roots and is accompanied
by intense emotions. Emotions revealed at regular ceremonies fix certain behavior
and conventional meanings that are important for the formation of cultural values in
a given society. Emotions also play a significant role in a man’s cognitive and
practical activities, they contribute to the absorption of personal experience by defining
a positive or negative nature of cognition when a man is trying to know the world. As
a ritual gives examples of actions and examples of psychological response to certain
events, it serves to transform the individual experience into the social one. Regulating
and standardizing types of behavior, ritual norms create conditions for the control
of excessive emotional states.
1. Frazer, J.G. Zolotaia vetv': Mifologiia i istoriia religii [The golden bough: a study
in comparative religion]. Moscow, 1998. 457 p. (in Russian).
2. Frazer, J.G. Fol'klor v Vetkhom Zavete [Folk-lore in the Old Testament]. Moscow,
1985. 511 p. (in Russian).
3. Obriadovaia teoriia mifa (D. Fontenrouz, V. Beskom, K. Klakkhon, S. Kh'iuman)
[The ritual theory of myth]. St-Petersburg, 2003. 216 p. (in Russian).
4. Tokarev, S.A. The sacrifice. Religiovedenie — Religion Studies. 2002. № 3.
Pp. 153–165. (in Russian).
5. Girard, R. Nasilie i sviashchennoe [Violence and the sacred]. Moscow, 2000. 398 p.
6. Burkert, W. Homo Necans. The anthropology of ancient Greek sacrificial ritual and
myth / In: Zhertvoprinoshenie: Ritual v kul'ture i iskusstve ot drevnosti do nashikh
dnei [The sacrifice: ritual in art and culture from antiquity to the present day]. Moscow,
2000. Pp. 405-478. (in Russian).
7. Merkulov, I.P. Kognitivnaia evoliutsiia [Cognitive evolution]. Moscow, 1999. 310 p.
8. Freud, S. Totem i tabu. Psikhologiia pervobytnoi kul'tury i religii [Totem and taboo.
Psychology of primitive culture and religion]. St-Petersburg, 2000. 222 p. (in Russian).
9. Sepir, E. Izbrannye trudy po iazykoznaniiu i kul'turologii [Selected writings
in language, culture and personality]. Moscow, 2001. 656 p. (in Russian).
10. Mueller, M. Ot slova k vere. Vundt V. Mif i religiia [From the word to the faith.
Wundt W. Myth and Religion]. St-Petersburg, 2002. 862 p. (in Russian).