The article deals with the functioning of the category of modality from
the point of view of interdisciplinary approach based on the data presented in philosophy,
logic, traditional and contemporary linguistics. The analysis combines the approaches
of modern poetics and stylistics. The investigation of modality as a characteristic
of the utterance is an important part of philosophy and logic. Modality covers not only
cognitive existence of the human being, but also relations that exist in the objective
world. As a functional-semantic category, modality includes axiological means which
characterize relation of the utterance to reality, thus reflecting objective knowledge,
and means which reflect the speaker’s attitude to the utterance and are subjective by
nature. Multidimensional character of the category of modality is represented by different
linguistic means. Discursive modality is based on the categories of poetics such as the
Voice, Point of View which were extensively used in the works of F.M. Dostoyevsky.
1. Aristotle. Metaphysics / In: Sochineniia v 4-kh tt. T. 1. Moscow, 1976. 550 p.
2. Kratkaia filosofskaia entsiklopediia [Concise Philosophic Encyclopedia]. Moscow,
1994. 575 p. (in Russian).
3. Epshtein, M.N. Filosofiia vozmozhnogo [Philosophy of possible]. St-Petersburg,
2001. 284 p. (in Russian).
4. Filosofskii entsiklopedicheskii slovar’ [Philosophic Encyclopedic Dictionary]
/ Ed. by L.F Il’ichev, P.N. Fedoseev, S.M. Kovalev, V.G. Panov. Moscow, 1983. 840 p.
5. Sogrina, V.N. Tipologiia form bytiia (diss. kand.) [Typology of life form (Extended
Abstract of Cand. Sci, Diss.)]. Tyumen, 2003. 167 p. (in Russian).
6. Ivin, A.A., Nikiforov, A.L. Slovar’ po logike [Dictionary of Logics]. Moscow, 1997.
384 p. (in Russian).
7. Ivin, A.A. Osnovaniia logiki otsenok [Bases of logic of values]. Moscow, 1970.
230 p. (in Russian).
8. Chrzanowska-Kluczewska, El. Much More than Metaphor. Master Tropes of Artistic
Language and Imagination. Frankfurt am Main: Peter Lang GmbH, 2013. 196 p.
9. Lingvisticheskii entsiklopedicheskii slovar’ [Linguistic Encyclopedia Dictionary]
/ Ed. by Yartseva, V.N. Moscow, 1990. 685 p. (in Russian).
10. Galperin, I.R. Tekst kak ob”ekt lingvisticheskogo issledovaniia [Text as an object
of the linguistic investigation]. Moscow, 1981. 139 p. (in Russian).
11. Laguta, О.N. Stilistika. Kul’tura rechi. Teoriia rechevoi kommunikatsii: Uchebnyi
slovar’ terminov. Chast’ 2 [Stylistics. Culture of speech. Theory of oral communication.
Learner’s Glossary. Part 2]. Novosibirsk, 2000. 147 p. (in Russian).
12. Stilisticheskii entsiklopedicheskii slovar’ russkogo iazyka [Stylistic Encyclopedia
Dictionary of the Russian Language] / Ed. by Kozhyna, М.N. Moscow, 2006. 696 p.
13. Andreeva, К.А. Grammatika i poetika narrativa v russkom i angliiskom iazykakh
(Avtoref. diss. dokt.) [Grammar and poetics of narrative in Russian and English (Dr. Sci.
(Philol.) Diss.)]. Ekaterinburg, 1998. 47 p. (in Russian).
14. Аndreeva, К.А. Literaturnyi narrativ: kognitivnye aspekty tekstovoi semantiki,
grammatiki, poetiki: Monografiia [Literary narrative: cognitive aspects of textual semantics,
grammar, poetics]. Tyumen, 2004. 244 p. (in Russian).
15. Bakhtin, M.M. Problemy tvorchestva Dostoevskogo [Problems of Dostoevsky’s
works]. Kiev, 1994. 509 p. (in Russian).
16. Dostoevskii, F.M. Unizhennye i oskorblennye [The Humiliated and the Insulted].
Leningrad, 1989. 368 p. (in Russian).