The paper explores a discourse of power in respect of cultural linguistics,
where the discourse of power appears for a particularly systemized and harmonized
usage of language, behind which a special ideologically and socially conditioned
mentality can be traced, some specified goal-oriented means in particular: cognition
pattern and patterns of communicative speech practice. These patterns are related
to implementation of a social power, i.e. a discourse is a manifestation of power, and
the power is expressed via discourse through the system of interrelated verbal/textual
means, forms and tools of influence. The paper presents the results of a definition
analysis of the concept power, which was made in order to define its semantic meaning.
After generalization of lingua-cultural interpretations the following basic meanings were
defined: 1) power in a broad sense; 2) political power; 3) particular representatives of
political power (authorities and people clothed with power). The cognitive analysis of
the concept power makes it obvious that it is universal, with a high level of importance
and functional frequency within the political discourse. Visions of power form a world
view of a politician significantly, because it is the concept of power that constitutes
a kind of its axiological core, and this concept organises and determines all other
features of the worldview to some extent.
1. Boas, F. Some Problems of methodology of Social Sciences / Trans. Y.S. Terentieva
// Antologija issledovanij kul'tury [Anthology of Cultural Researches]. St-Petersburg,
1997. V. 1. Pp. 499-508. (in Russian).
2. Gavranek, B. To the Problem of Fusion of Languages. Novoe v lingvistike [News
in Linguistics]. Issue 6. Мoscow, 1972. Pp. 94-111. (in Russian).
3. Humboldt, V. von. Izbrannye trudy po jazykoznaniju [Selected works in Linguistics].
Мoscow, 1984. (in Russian).
4. Zhirmunskij, V.M. To the Problem of Social Differentiation of Language. Jazyk
i obshhestvo [Language and Society]. Мoscow, 1968. Pp. 22–39. (in Russian).
5. Larin, B.А. Colloquial Language of the Moscovia // Nachal'nyj jetap formirovanija
russkogo nacional'nogo jazyka [Infancy of Russian National Language]. Leningrad, 1961.
Pp. 22–34. (in Russian).
6. Sapir, E. Izbrannye trudy po jazykoznaniju i kul'turologii [Selected Works
in Linguistics and Cultural Studies]. Мoscow, 1993. 192 p. (in Russian).
7. Schveitser, А.D. Contemporary Social Linguistics // Teorija, problemy, metody
[Theory, Issues, and Methods]. Мoscow: Nauka, 1977. Pp. 58–63. (in Russian).
8. Shapochkin, D.V. Kognitivnye aspekty politicheskogo diskursa (na materiale
britanskih, amerikanskih i nemeckih publichnyh politicheskih rechej (diss. kand.) [Cognitive
Aspects of a Political Discourse (as exemplified in British, American, and German public
political speeches (Cand. Diss.)]. Tyumen, 2005. 244 p. (in Russian).
9. Jazykoznanie. Bol'shoj jenciklopedicheskij slovar' [Linguistics. Large Encyclopaedic
Dictionary]. Мoscow, 2000. 688 p. (in Russian).
10. Chernjavskaja, V.E. Diskurs vlasti i vlast' diskursa. Problemy rechevogo
vozdejstvija [Discourse of Power and Power of Discourse. Problems of Verbal Effect].
Мoscow: Flinta, 2006. 136 p. (in Russian).
11. Shapochkin, D.V. Conceptual Opposition: Power vs Justice in the International
hymn lyrics. Politicheskaja lingvistika — Political Linguistics. 2013. № 2. Pp. 132–136.
12. Ozhegov, S.I. Slovar' russkogo jazyka [Dictionary of the Russian Language].
Мoscow, 1990. 921 p. (in Russian).
13. Halipov, V.F. Politologicheskij slovar' [Dictionary of Political Studies]. Мoscow,
1995. 192 p. (in Russian).
14. Webster’s New World Dictionary of American English. — Third College Edition.
New York: Prentice Hall, 1994. 1574 p.
15. Shejgal, E.I. Semiotika politicheskogo diskursa (diss. dokt.) [Semiotics of Political
Discourse (Doct. Diss.). Volgograd, 2000. 440 p. (in Russian).
16. Degtjarev, A.A. Political Power as a Regulating Mechanism of Social Communication.
Polis — Polis. 1996. № 3. Pp. 108–120. (in Russian).
17. Zhdanova, L.A., Revzina, O.G. Power: Linguistic Meaning and a Concept [Vlast':
jazykovoe znachenie i koncept]. Semantika jazykovyh edinic: M-ly 3-j mezhvuz. nauch.
konf. (Semantics of Language Units: Proc. of the III Scientific Conf.). Moscow, 1992.
Pp. 44–48. (in Russian).