Release:Vesntik TSU. Philology. 2014
About the authors:Ekaterina V. Novokreshchennykh,
Abstract:The article deals with the ethico-religious concept of sin in the novel of J. Joyce «A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man» within the discursive-cognitive paradigm. It is proved that the concept is verbalized through the opposition of «right/wrong», «obedience/disobedience», «love/sin», «life/death». The authors look intently at conceptual inversions of the concept, i.e. historical transformations of its meanings. These inversions are studied within the structure of the novel’s hero, Stephen Dedalus. The ‘time integrity’ of the hero, according to Mikhail M. Bakhtin, is taken as a basis of the hero’s structure and considered as a sequence of phases of his life that corresponds to the sequence of the chapters. At each phase, there is an inversion of some initial conceptual opposition. The inversion is then neutralized (i.e. the initial opposition is retrieved) and arises again until it is finally reinforced in the end of the last phase, thus desemantizing the concept of sin.
1. Eco, U. Pojetiki Dzhojsa [Joyce’s Poetics] / Transl. from Ital. and of footnotes by A. Koval. St.-Petersburg: Symposium, 2006. 496 p. (in Russian).
2. Florenskij, P.A. Stolp i utverzhdenie istiny (I): faksimil'noe vosproizvedenie original'nogo avtorskogo izdanija 1914 g. [The pillar and ground of the truth (I): a facsimile reproduction of the original copyright edition of 1914]. Мoscow, 1990. 496 p. URL: http://imwerden.de/pdf/florensky_stolp_i_utverzhdenie_istini_1914.pdf. (in Russian).
3. O’Neil, A.C. (1913). Sin. In The Catholic Encyclopedia. Vol. XIV. New York: Robert Appleton Company. Retrieved November 6, 2013 from New Advent. URL: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14004b.htm.
4. A New English Dictionary on Historical Principles. Vol. IX. Part I / by W.A. Craigie, H. Bradley. Oxford: At the Clarendon Press, 1919. 1211 p.
5. Bahtin, M.M. Author and Hero in Aesthetic Activity // Jestetika slovesnogo tvorchestva [Aesthetics of verbal creativity]. Мoscow, 1986. Pp. 9-191. (in Russian).
6. Belozerova, N.N., Chufistiva, L.Ye. Mir real'nyj i mir virtual'nyj: dve jekologicheskie sistemy? Monografija [Real and virtual world: two ecological systems? Monograph]. Tyumen, 2010. 252 p. (in Russian).
7. Joyce, J. A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man / Edited with an Introduction and Notes by Jeri Johnson. Oxford: New York: Oxford University Press, 2008. 289 p.
8. Sartre, J.-P. Nausea: selected works [Toshnota: izbrannye proizvedenija] / Transl. from Fr. Мoscow, 1994. 494 p. (in Russian).
9. Labre, C. Dictionnaire biblique, culturel et littéraire. P.: Armand Colin / VUEF, 2000. 319 p.
10. Bulgakov, S.N. Svet nevechernij: sozercanija i umozrenija [Unfading light: contemplation and speculation]. Мoscow, 1994. 415 p. (in Russian).
11. The Bible: In Old Church Slavonic, Russian, Greek, Hebrew and Latin languages. URL: http://azbyka.ru/biblia/