Release:Vesntik TSU. Philology. 2013
About the author:Irina E. Beliakova,
Abstract:This article is devoted to the analysis of the lexemes belonging to the lexical-semantic field of beauty in the short stories about love by the contemporary Russian writer L.S. Petrushevskaya. It is claimed that Russian lexemes for “beauty”, “beautiful man”, “beautiful woman” underwent pejorative changes in their lexical meaning. In the stories in question they are employed in an unusual stylistic and lexical surrounding collocating with lexemes of the opposite pole of the semantic field “beautiful—ugly” and activate their comic potential. The process of pejoration of the studied lexemes correlates with the phenomenon of semantic “devaluation” of the esthetic value of beauty in the Russian society in the middle and at end of the previous century. The language and speech units that were singled out in the prose of L. Petrushevskaya belonging to the middle and end of XX century allow to relate the studied works of literature to the aesthetics of dirty realism which is characterized by the absence of stylistic expressivity and by simplicity of speech.
1. Hamitov, N.V. and others. Ethics and aesthetics: Glossary. Associacija filosofskogo iskusstva — Association of philosophical art. Available at: http://aphy.net/studentphylosophy/43-materials/369-book (in Russian).
2. Petrushevskaya, L.S. Rasskazy o ljubvi [Stories of Love]. Moscow: Astrel, 2010. 317 p. (in Russian)
3. Malyj akademicheskij slovar' [Academy Dictionary]. Edited by A.P. Yevgenyeva. Moscow: USSR Academy of Science, the Russian Language Institute, 1984 (in Russian).
4. Tolkovyj slovar' russkogo jazyka [The Explanatory Dictionary of the Russian Language]. In 4 volumes. Edited by D.N. Ushakov. Мoscow, 2000 (in Russian).
5. Tolkovyj slovar' Ozhegova onlajn (The Explanatory Dictionary of the Russian Language Edited by Ozhegov on-line) Available at: http://slovarozhegova.ru/ (in Russian).
6. Bol'shoj tolkovyj slovar' russkogo jazyka [Great Explanatory Dictionary of the Russian Language] Edited by S.A. Kuznetsov. First edition. Saint-Petersburg: Norint publ., 1998 (in Russian).
7. Kjazimov, G. Teorija komicheskogo: problemy jazykovyh sredstv i priemov (The Theory of Comical: Problem of Linguistic Means and Methods). Available at: www.uludil.gen.az (in Russian).
8. Silva Rhetоrica. Available at: http://rhetoric.byu.edu/.
9. Dirty realism. Wikipedia. Available at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirty_realism.
10. Dirty realism. Online Collins Dictionary. Available at: http://dictionary.reverso.net/english-definition/dirty%20realism.