Release:Vesntik TSU. Philology. 2013
About the author:Irina I. Arbuzova,
Abstract:The article discusses the phenomenon of language interference, and offers a classification of the mistakes made by students, while teaching them prepositional government, into interference mistakes (made due to the influence of the native language of students) and no-interference mistakes (caused only by ignorance of the relevant grammatical material). The difficulty of detection of signs of the influence of the English language in acquiring the grammatical topic «Russian Prepositions of Space» is described. The basis for this conclusion is a high degree of unmotivated errors in speech of English-speaking students when they use Russian Prepositions of Space (the article contains examples of such errors). The lack of signs of interference is an obstacle to the use of the comparative-contrastive method of teaching this subject to the English-speaking audience with the support of the students’ native language. The theme of the «Russian Prepositions of Space» has a high national-Russian specificity. Specifically Russian grammatical phenomena in comparison with the English are the rich Russian system of cases with its various word-endings; the presence of interdependence between such categories of the Russian language system, as prepositions and cases; a harsh impact of the values of Russian prefixes on the government of the verb; the dependence of the choice of the preposition on a variety of factors of development of the Russian phrase (a prefix in a prefixed verb, semantics of animateness or inanimateness of a noun, etc.). The article concludes that the national specificity of the grammatical category of Russian prepositions is the reason for the creation of not language-oriented but universal methods of its teaching to different audiences of foreign students.
1. Mechkovskaja, N.B. Social'naja lingvistika [Social Linguistics]: textbook for students of high schools for humanities and of lyceums. Moscow: Aspect-press publ., 1994. 207 p. (in Russian)
2. Ponomarev, S.Ju. Interferirujushhee vlijanie anglijskogo jazyka pri izuchenii russkogo Diss kand. [Study of Interferential Impact of the English Language on the Russian Language. Cand. diss.]. Saint-Petersburg, 1992. 15 p. (in Russian)
3. Bagana, Zh., Hapilina, E.V. Accent and mistakes as a manifest of interference. Vestnik Voronezhskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta — Voronezh State University Bulletin. Series: Linguistics and intercultural communication. 2006. No. 1. P. 55-58 (in Russian).
4. Rozental', D.Je., Telenkova, M.A. Slovar'-spravochnik lingvisticheskih terminov [Thesaurus of linguistic terms]. Moscow, 1985. 399 p. (in Russian)
5. Alimov, V.V. Interferencija v perevode [Interference in Translating and Interpreting]. Moscow: KomKniga publ., 2005. 230 p. (in Russian)
6. Uman, L.M. What is grammatical interference: based on the material of the Russian and French languages. Uchenye zapiski — Scientific Notes. Oryol State Pedagogical Institute. 1963. II issue. P. 157-165 (in Russian).
7. Rogoznaya, N.N. Tipologija lingvisticheskoj interferencii v russkoj rechi inostrancev: Na materiale raznostrukturnyh jazykov Diss Dokt. [Typology of Linguistic Interference in Russian Speech of Foreigners: based on the materials of languages of different structures. Doc. diss.] Moscow, 2003. 48 p. (in Russian)
8. Uman, L.M. Problema grammaticheskoj interferencii: Na materiale russkogo I francuzskogo jazykov Diss kand. [The Problem of Grammatical Interference: based on the material of the Russian and French languages. Cand. diss.] Moscow: First Moscow State Pedagogical Institute of Foreign Languages publ., 1964. 16 p. (in Russian)
9. Scherba, L.V. Eastern Luzhitsk Dialect. Zapiski istoriko-filologicheskogo fak-ta Imperatorskogo Petrogradskogo un-ta — Notes of History and Philology Department of Imperial Petrograd University. P. CXXVIII. Typical edition. A.S. Collins, 1915. 194 p. (in Russian)
10. Vinogradov, V.A. Stratification of standard, interference and language teaching. Lingvisticheskie osnovy prepodavanija jazyka — Linguistic Foundations of Languag Teaching. Moscow: Nauka publ., 1983. P. 44-65 (in Russian).
11. Rozencvejg, V.Ju., Uman, L.M. Notes on the problem of grammar interference. Problemy strukturnoj lingvistiki — Structural Linguistics Problems. Moscow: USSR Academy of Science publ., 1962. P. 60-73 (in Russian).
12. Rozencvejg, V.Ju. Opyt lingvisticheskogo opisanija leksikosemanticheskih oshibok v rechi na nerodnom jazyke [Linguistic Experience of Lexical-Semantic Mistakes when Speaking a Foreign Language]. Pre-hand publications. 50 issues. Moscow: USSR Academy of Science, the Russian language Institute publ., 1974. 46 p. (in Russian)
13. Vagner, V.N. Metodika prepodavanija russkogo jazyka anglogovorjashhim i frankogovorjashhim [Methods of the Russian Language Teaching to English- and French- Speaking People]. Moscow: Vlados publ., 2001. 382 p. (in Russian)
14. Shherba, L.V. Jazykovaja sistema i rechevaja dejatel'nost' [Language System and Speech Activity]. Leningrad: Nauka publ., 1974. 428 p. (in Russian)
15. Lingvisticheskij jenciklopedicheskij slovar' [Linguistic Thesaurus] Editor-in-chief V.N. Yartseva. 2d ed. Moscow: Great Russian Encyclopedia publ., 2002. 707 p. (in Russian)
16. Sorokina, S.S. Puti preodolenija i preduprezhdenija grammaticheskoj interferencii sintaksicheskih podtipov v nemeckoj rechi studentov 1 kursa jazykovyh fakul'tetov: na m-le podtipa upravlenija. Diss kand. [Ways to Overcome and Prevent Grammar Interference of Syntactic Subtypes in German Speech of the First Year Students of Linguistic Departments: based on the material of subtypes of subordination. Cand. diss.]. SPb.: A.I. Herzen’ State Pedagogical University publ., 1971. 26 p. (in Russian)
17. Folomkina, S.K. Anglo-russkij slovar' sochetaemosti [English-Russian Dictionary of Collocations]. Moscow: Russkij jazyk, 2001. 1031 p. (in Russian)