About the authors:
Elena Yu. Zarubko,
Cand. Psychol. Sci., Senior lecturer, Department of General and Social Psychology, Institute of Psychology and Pedagogics, Tyumen
Natalya S. Vakarina,
Student, Institute of Psychology and Pedagogics, Tyumen State University
The purpose of this study is to reveal relationship between an employee’s adaptation to a new job and their coping-strategies. The COPE inventory of C. Carver et al. is used to assess copings. An inventory based on the social and psychological adaptation questionnaire developed by K. Rodgers and R. Diamond is used to estimate an employee’s adaptation. Expert evaluation was used to form 30 questions describing a professional adaptation only. This inventory was completed by new employees (n=63) and by their supervisors (n=2). The assessments of employees’ adaptation made by
employees and by their managers are highly correlated (r=0.83, p<0.01) and indicate accuracy of the study. Stepwise linear regression analysis revealed the relations between professional adaptation and several constructive and unconstructive coping strategies. Employees’ adaptation assessed by employees positively correlates with such constructive coping strategies as Planning, Positive reinterpretation and growth, with unconstructive coping strategies such as Denial and Mental disengagement. Negative correlation is revealed for only one unconstructive coping strategy such as Alcohol-drug disengagement. Employees’ adaptation assessed by managers positively correlates with such constructive coping strategy as Positive reinterpretation and growth, and with unconstructive coping strategy such as Focus on and venting of emotions.
1. Volkova, N.V. Pervichnaia adaptatsiia personala kak protsess usvoeniia organizatsionnoi kul'tury (Avtoref. diss. kand.) [Primary employee adaptation as a process of assimilation of organizational culture (Extended abstract of Cand. Sci.)]. St-Petersburg, 2013. 24 p.
2. Maslov, E.V. Upravlenie personalom predpriiatiia [Human resource management].
Moscow, 1999. 312 p.
3. Bykov, S.V., Liapina, I.A. Emotional burnout as a labour stress factor among employees of psychoneurologic early treatment centre. Vestnik Samarskoi gumanitarnoi akademii.Ser. Psikhologiia — Bulletin of Samara Academy of Humanities. Series: Psychology. 2013. № 1. Pp. 85-93.
4. Klishin, S.V. Choice of successful coping strategy as way to struggle with occupational
distress / In: Sbornik tezisov uchastnikov mezhvuzovskoi nauchno-prakticheskoi internetkonferentsii po iuridicheskoi psikhologii [Collected Reports of Participants of the Scientific Practical Internet Conference on Law Psychology]. URL: http://psyjournals.ru/icjp_2011/
5. Malyshev, I.V. Relationship between emotional burnout and personal values in the
process of professional socialization in extreme conditions. Izvestiia Saratovskogo
universiteta — Bulletin of the Saratov University. 2010. Vol. 10. Issue 4. Pp. 74-78.
6. Ivanov, P.A., Garanian, N.G. COPE questionaire aprobation. Psikhologicheskaia
nauka i obrazovanie — Psychological Science and Education. 2010. № 1. Pp. 82-93.
7. Carver, C.S., Scheier, M.F., Weintraub, J.K. Assessing coping strategies: a theoretically based approach. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. 1989 Vol. 56. Pp. 267-283.
8. Remshmidt, Kh. Podrostkovyi i iunosheskii vozrast: Problemy stanovleniia lichnosti
[Childhood and adolescence: Problems of Personal Growth]. Moscow, 1994. 182 p.
9. Eichinger, R.W., Lombardo, M.M. Knowledge summary series: 360-degree assessment. Human resource planning. 26 (4). Pp. 34-44.
10. Kuznetsova, E.V., Petrovskaia, V.G., Riazantseva, S.A. Psikhologiia stressa
i emotsional'nogo vygoraniia [Psychology of Stress and Emotional Burnout]. Kuibyshev,
2012. 96 p.
11. Prais, R. Situations of risk / In: Psikhologiia sotsial'nykh situatsii. Khrestomatiia
[Psychology of Social Situation; a reader] / compiled by N.V. Grishina. St-Petersburg, 2001.
12. Bodrov, V.A. Cognitive processes and psychological stress. Psikhologicheskii zhurnal
— Psychological Journal. 1996. Vol. 17. № 4. Pp. 64-74.
13. Bartosh, O.P., Bartosh, T.P. Age and gender peculiarities of adolescent coping behavior. Vestnik IuUrGU. Ser.: Psikhologiia — Bulletin of the South Ural State University. Series: Psychology. 2012. Vol. 6. Pp. 42-46.
14. Bogdanova, M.V. Correlation of personal vitality with maturity and levels of individual
life ncessities supply. Vestnik TiumGU. Seriia: Pedagogika. Psikhologiia — Herald of the
Tyumen State University. Series: Education Science. Psychology. 2012. Vol. 9. Pp. 149-
15. Kornev, K.I. Lichnostnye determinanty, strategii kopinga i tipy rukovoditelei
vysshego i srednego zvena v usloviiakh professional'nykh stressovykh situatsii (Avtoref.
diss. kand.) [Personal Determinants, Coping Strategies and Types of Managers of Top and Middle Level in Conditions of Professional Stressful Situations (Extended abstract of Cand. Sci. Diss.)]. Krasnodar, 2008. 23 p.
16. Antsyferova, L.I. Personality in a difficult living condition: reinterpretation,
transformation of situation and psychological defense. Psikhologicheskii zhurnal —
Psychological Journal. 1994. № 1. Pp. 3-16.
17. Isaeva, E.R. Koping-povedenie i psikhologicheskaia zashchita lichnosti v usloviiakh
zdorov'ia i bolezni [Coping Behavior and Personal Psychological Defense in Conditions
of Health and Illness]. St-Petersburg, 2009. 136 p.
18. Berezin, F.B. Psikhicheskaia i psikhofiziologicheskaia adaptatsiia cheloveka
[Psychological and Psychophysiological Human Adaptation]. Leningrad, 1988. 270 p.
19. Kopytov, A.V., Skugarevskaia, E.I. Coping strategies and alcohol addiction. Voennaia
meditsina — Military Medicine. 2011. № 2. Pp. 119-128.