About the authors:
Mariya V. Bogdanova,
Cand. Psychol. Sci., Associate Professor, Department of Clinical and Legal Psychology, Institute of Psychology and Pedagogics, Tyumen State University
Irina А. Rusyaeva,
postgraduate student, Department of General and Social Psychology, Institute of Psychology and Pedagogics, Tyumen State University
The article presents the results of an empirical study of the relationships between a mother’s psychological defense system and development of psychological defense system of her child. Three age periods such as 4-6 ages, 7-9 ages, 10-12 ages
are identified. We revealed correlations between a mother’s defense system and the defense system of her child. The study clarifies how gender education affects development of defense system of a child. The results show that boys and girls learn
their mothers’ defensive behavior in different ways (direct copying of the mother’s behavior or learning based on parental instructions). Practical application of the study is that recommendations may be given how to develop a child’s system of defense, taking into account age and gender, how to develop social competencies such as negotiation skills, social situation analysis and planning, ability to protect personal interests, selfdetermination, ability to accept someone’s support.
1. Romanova, E.S., Grebennikov, L.G. Mekhanizmy psikhologicheskoi zashchity:
genezis, funktsionirovanie, diagnostika [Mechanisms of Psychological Defense: Genesis,
Functioning, Diagnostics]. Talant, 1996. 144 p. (in Russian).
2. Nikol'skaia, I.M., Dobriakov, I.V. Levels of defense system in the context of psychological assistance / In: Psikhologiia sovladaiushchego povedeniia: materialy II Mezhdunarodnoi nauchno-prakticheskoi konferentsii, Kostroma, 23-25 sent. 2013 [Psychology of Stress and Coping Behavior: Proceedings of the 3d International Sci. Practical Conf., Kostroma, 26-28 September, 2013]. Kostroma, 2013. Pp. 102-104. (in Russian).
3. Bogdanova, M.V., Dotsenko, E.L. Samoreguliatsiia lichnosti: ot zashchit k sozidaniiu
[Self-Regulation: from Defense to Creation]. Tyumen, 2010. 204 p. (in Russian).
4. Psikhologiia stressa i sovladaiushchego povedeniia: materialy III Mezhdunarodnoi
nauchno-prakticheskoi konferentsii, Kostroma, 26-28 sent. 2013 [Psychology of Stress and Coping Behavior: Proceedings of the 3d International Sci. Practical Conf., Kostroma, 26-28 September, 2013, in 2 vols.] / Eds. T.L. Kriukova, E.V. Kuftiak, M.V. Saporovskaia,
S.A. Khazova. Kostroma, 2013. Vol. 1. 284 p. (in Russian).
5. Bogdanova, M.V. Correlation of resilience and personality maturity and levels of life
necessities supply. Vestnik Tiumenskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta — Tyumen State University Herald. 2012. № 9. Pp. 149-156. (in Russian).
6. Bogdanova, M.V. The role of the mother in the formation of the psychological defense
by often and long-time sick children. Vestnik Tiumenskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta
— Tyumen State University Herald. 2011. № 9. Pp. 232-240. (in Russian).
7. Isenina, E.I. Details of assigning forms and meanings of culture in early childhood
and personality traits of the mother / In: Filosofiia iazyka i semiotika [Philosophy
of Language and Semiotics]. Ivanovo, 1995. Pp. 149-172. (in Russian).
8. Kriukova, T.L., Saporovskaia, M.V., Kuftiak, E.V. Psikhologiia sem'i: zhiznennye
trudnosti i sovladanie s nimi: uchebnoe posobie [Psychology of Family Life: Difficulties
and Coping with Them: a study guide]. St-Petersburg, 2005. 240 p. (in Russian).
9. Vygotskii, L.S. Sobranie sochinenii. Vol. 2. Problemy obshchei psikhologii [Collected
Works. Problems of General Psychology] / Ed. by V.V. Davydov. Moscow, 1982. 504 p.
10. Nikol'skaia, I.M. Metod seriinykh risunkov i rasskazov v psikhologicheskoi
diagnostike i konsul'tirovanii detei i podrostkov. Uchebnoe posobie dlia vrachei
i psikhologov [The Method of Multiple Drawings and Stories in Psychological Diagnostics
and Consulting Children: a study guide for doctors and psychologists]. St-Petersburg, 2009. (in Russian).