Release:Vesntik TSU. History. 2014
About the authors:Vasiliy I. Soenov,
Abstract:The article informs researchers about finds of iron chisels — the unique woodworking tools which were found in the Verkh-Uymon barrow in Altai while studying the Bulan-Kobinskiy artifact of the Hunno-Sarmatian times. The instruments are very rare and unique finds in the archaeological sites. The highly specialized tools appeared only at the time of the developed manufacture and were of great importance for the evaluation of economic activities being the indisputable indicator of the woodworking level. The authors have made an assumption that at the Hunno-Sarmatian time woodworking in Altai was not considered to be the independent sphere of economic activity but existed as a part of the home production. But the emergence of the woodworking tools specialization clearly reflects the process of isolation of the woodworking craft among the Altai inhabitants in the first half of the 1st millennium AD.
1. Soenov, V.I., Ebel', A.V. Kurgany gunno-sarmatskoi epokhi na Verkhnei Katuni [Hunno-Sarmatian mounds on the Upper Katun]. Gorno-Altaisk, 1992. 114 p. (in Russian).
2. Soenov, V.I., Ebel', A.V. Verkh-Uimon rescue excavations // Sokhranenie i izuchenie kul'turnogo naslediia Altaiskogo kraia [Preserving and studying the cultural heritage of the Altai Territory]. Barnaul, 1996. Pp. 157-158. (in Russian).
3. Soenov, V.I. Verkh-Uimon excavation results in 1999 // drevnosti Altaia. Izvestiia laboratorii arkheologii [Altai antiquities. Archeology laboratory news]. Gorno-Altaisk, 2000. № 5.Pp. 48-62. (in Russian).
4. Soenov, V.I. Surveys in Gorniy Altai and Verkh-Uimon excavations // Arkheologicheskie otkrytiia 2004 goda [Archeological discoveries of 2004]. Moscow: Nauka, 2005. Pp. 486-487. (in Russian).
5. Soenov, V.I., Trifanova, S.V., Vdovina, T.A., Cherepanov, M.A. Excavations of Hunno- Sarmatian burials in Verkh-Uimon in 2003-2004 // Sokhranenie i izuchenie kul'turnogo naslediia Altaia [Preserving and studying the cultural heritage of the Altai Territory]. Barnaul, 2005. Pp. 169-171. (in Russian).
6. Categories of chisel cutters. Drevportal: Lumber and woodworking. URL: http://www.drevportal.ru/stolyar/public/22/(reference date 12/08/2013).
7. Sorokin, S.S. Pazyryk burials of the Migration Period // Arkheologicheskii sbornik Gosudarstvennogo Ermitazha [Archaeological collection of the State Hermitage]. Leningrad, 1977. Ed. 18. Pp. 57-67. (in Russian).
8. Mamadakov, Iu.T. New information about the Hunno-Sarmatian time in Gorniy Altai // Altai v epokhu kamnia i rannego metalla [Alatai in the Stone Age]. Barnaul, 1985. Pp. 173-189. (in Russian).
9. Soenov V.I., Shtanakova E.A. Woodenware in the Kuraik barrow // Teoriia i praktika arkheologicheskikh issledovanii [Theory and practice of archeological studies]. Barnaul, 2011. Ed. 6. Pp. 177-186. (in Russian).
10. Mogil'nikov, V.A., Surazakov, A.S. Excavations of the Hunno-Sarmatian mounds near Malaya Inya in Gorniy Altai // Pamiatniki Evrazii skifo-sarmatskoi epokhi [Eurasian antiquities of the Scythian and Sarmatian age]. Moscow, 1995. Pp. 62-74. (in Russian).
11. Tishkin, A.A., Myl'nikov, V.P. Woodenware in Mound 31, Yaloman II, Altai Arkheologiia, etnografiia i antropologiia Evrazii — Archeology, ethnography and anthropology of Eurasia. 2008. № 1(33). Pp. 93-102. (in Russian).
12. Ostanina, T.I. Naselenie srednego Prikam'ia v III-V vv. [Population of the Middle Kama in the 3d-5th centuries]. Izhevsk, 1997. 327 p. (in Russian).
13. Stepnaia polosa aziatskoi chasti SSSR v skifo-sarmatskoe vremia [Steppe zones of the USSR Asian part at the Scythian and Sarmatian time]. Moscow: Nauka, 1992. 496 p. (in Russian).
14. Stepi Evrazii v epokhu srednevekov'ia [Eurasian steppes in the Middle Age]. Moscow: Nauka, 1981. 305 p. (in Russian).
15. Sedov, V.V. Vostochnye slaviane v VI-XIII vv. [East Slavs in VI-XIII centuries]. Moscow: Nauka, 1982. 328 p. (in Russian).
16. Semenov, A.I. Xylotomic analyses of Hunno looking samples taken from the Kamtittukem cage // Problemy okhrany, izucheniia i ispol'zovaniia kul'turnogo naslediia Altaia [Preserving and studying the cultural heritage of the Altai Territory]. Barnaul, 1995. Pp. 147-149. (in Russian).
17. Tishkin, A.A., Myl'nikov, V.P. Getting to know the Bulan-Kobinskiy wooden ware in Altai // Altae-Saianskaia gornaia strana i istoriia osvoeniia ee kochevnikami. Sbornik nauchnykh trudov [Altae-Sayanskya mountain country and the history of its development by nomads. Collection of research papers]. Barnaul, 2007. Pp. 159-165. (in Russian).
18. Tishkin, A.A. The program of xylotomic surveys of ancient and Middle Age archeological finds in Altai // Rol' estestvenno-nauchnykh metodov v arkheologicheskikh issledovaniiakh [Scientific methods in archeological research]. Barnaul, 2009. Pp. 330-332. (in Russian).
19. Shtanakova, E.A. Choosing raw material in woodworking in Altai of the 5th cent. B.C — the 5th cent. A.D // Materialy XLIX Regional'noi arkheologo-etnograficheskoi studencheskoi konferentsii «Arkheologiia i etnografiia aziatskoi chasti Rossii (novye materialy, gipotezy, problemy i metody)» [Papers of the XLIX Regional archeological student conference “Archeology and ethnography of the Asian part of Russia (new information, issues and methods)”]. Kemerovo, 2009. Pp. 153-154. (in Russian).
20. Shtanakova, E.A. Woodworking tools among Altai antiquities of the5th century B.C — the 5th century A.D // Materialy V (L) Rossiiskoi (s mezhdunarodnym uchastiem) arkheologo-etnograficheskoi konferentsii studentov i molodykh uchenykh «Evraziiskoe kul'turnoe prostranstvo. Arkheologiia, etnologiia, antropologiia» [Papers of the 5th Russian (with international participants) archeological research conference “Eurasian cultural environment. Archeology, ethnology, anthropology”]. Irkutsk, 2010. Pp. 289-290. (in Russian).