Release:Vesntik TSU. History. 2014
About the authors:Nikolai N. Golovchenko, Postgraduate Student, Novosibirsk State Pedagogical University; Research Engineer, Institute of Archaeology and Ethnography of the Siberian Branch of the RAS; Head of the Archeology Laboratory, Altai State Pedagogical University (Barnaul); firstname.lastname@example.org
Abstract:The article summarizes the experience of systemitizing, discusses the theoretical issues in the study of a garment worn by the representatives of Scythian and Saxon archaeological cultures. The article introduces to garment classification and typology of certain categories of clothes, as well as their constituent elements’ nomination. The classification is based on the traditional approach accepted by Russian ethnographers, according to which a garment under study is divided into hats, shoulder and waist clothes as well as shoes. In the process of the typology development the authors relied on the alleged peculiarities of the Scythian clothes cut. The nomination of its components was composed with reference to various sources. Thus, the authors propose a new typology of certain categories of clothes that could be developed and applied only in the study of clothes belonged to people of the steppe zone of Eurasia in VIII-III centuries BC.
1. Stepanov, P.K. Istoriia russkoi odezhdy. Vyp. 1 [History of Russian clothes. Issue 1]. St.-Petersburg, 1915. 345 p. (in Russian).
2. Rostovtsev, M.I. Stepanov, P.K. Hellenic-Scythian head decoration. EаC. 1917. Issue 63. Pp. 69-101. (in Russian).
3. Rostovtsev, M.I. Ellinstvo i iranstvo na iuge Rossii [Hellenism and Iranstvo in the south of Russia]. Petrograd, 1918. 190 p. (in Russian).
4. Rudenko, S.I. Kul'tura naseleniia Gornogo Altaia v skifskoe vremia [The culture of population in Gornyi Altai in the Scythian period]. Мoscow; Leningrad: Nauka, 1953. 354 p. (in Russian).
5. Griaznov, M.P. Pervyi Pazyrykskii kurgan [The first Pazyryk mound]. Leningrad, 1950. 89 p. (in Russian).
6. Klochko, L.S., Vasina, Z.A. Costume of the before Scythian period on the territory of modern Ukraine // Kimmerowie, Scytowie, Sarmaci. (Ed. by J. Chochorowskii). Krakow, 2004.
Pp. 185-198. (in Russian).
7. Klochko, L.S. Belt clothes of the Scythian population // drevnosti skifskoi epokhi: sb. stat. [Antiquities of the Scythian epoch: collection of articles]. Мoscow, 2006. Pp. 100-119. (in Russian).
8. Miroshina, T.V. Scythian Kalathos. Sovetskaia arkheologiia — Soviet archeology. 1980. № 1. Pp. 30-45. (in Russian).
9. Miroshina, T.V. Greek head decorations of the Nothern Black sea coast. Kratkie soobshcheniia Instituta arkheologii — Brief reports of the Institute of archaeology. 1983. Issue 174. Pp. 10-17. (in Russian).
10. Barkova, L.L., Gokhman, I.I. The origin of early nomads based on the data of paleoanthropology and the depictions analysis. Elitnye kurgany stepei Evrazii v skifosarmatskuiu epokhu [The elite mounds of Eurasia steppes in Scythian-Sarmat epoch]. St.-Petersburg, 1994. Pp. 27-33. (in Russian).
11. Polos'mak, N.V. The helmets of the Pazyryktsy wariors. Itogi izucheniia skifskoi epokhi Altaia i sopredel'nykh territorii [The researches results of the Scythian epoch in Altai and the contiguous territories]. Barnaul, 1998. Pp. 148-151. (in Russian).
12. Polos'mak, N.V., Barkova, L.L. Kostium i tekstil' pazyryktsev Altaia (IV-III vv. Do n.e.) [Costume and textile of the Altai Pazyryks (IV-III centuries BC)]. Novosibirsk, 2005. 232 p. (in Russian).
13. Iatsenko, S.A. Kostium drevnei Evrazii (iranoiazychnye narody) [Costume in ancient Eurasua: the Iranian-speaking peoples]. Мoscow, 2006. 664 p. (in Russian).
14. Bogomolov, V.B. Theoretical and methodological basis of costume reconstruction (the denotation of the notions «clothes» and «costume») // Integratsiia arkheologicheskikh i etnograficheskikh issledovanii: sb. tr. Ch. I [Integration of archaeological and ethnographical researches: works collection. Part I] / Ch. ed. М.L. Berezhnova et al. Kazan, 2010. Pp. 264-273. (in Russian).
15. Vsia istoriia drevnei Gretsii: sbornik perevodov proizvedenii drevnikh avtorov [All history of Ancient Greece: collection of the ancient authors works in translation]. Мoscow, 2009. 1306 p. (in Russian).
16. Ozhegov, S.I. Slovar' russkogo iazyka. 24-e izd., ispr. [Dictionary of the Russian language. 24th ed., corr.]. Мoscow, 2008. 1200 p. (in Russian).
17. Usova, A.I. Kostium kochevnikov Iuzhnoi Sibiri i sopredel'nykh territorii perioda pozdnei drevnosti i rannego srednevekov'ia (Avtoref. diss. kand) [Nomads’ costume in Southern Siberia and contagious territories of late ancient and early medieval period (Cand. Diss. thesis). Barnaul, 2012. 24 p. (in Russian).
18. Kiiashko, A.V. Some issues on application of typological method in archaeology // Bronzovyi vek Vostochnoi Evropy: kharakteristika kul'tur, khronologiia i periodizatsiia [The bronze century in Eastern Europe: The cultures characteristics, chronology and periods]. Samara, 2001. Pp. 129-135. (in Russian).
19. Istoriko-etnograficheskii atlas Sibiri [Historical-ethnographical map of Siberia]. Мoscow-Leningrad, 1961. Pp. 227-369. (in Russian).