Release:Vesntik TSU. History. 2013
About the author:Valeriy M. Kruzhinov, Dr. Sci. (Hist.), Professor, Department of National History, Institute of History and Political Sciences, Tyumen State University; email@example.com
Abstract:The problem of internal democracy revival took the center stage in «The new course» letter of L.D. Trotsky published December 11, 1923 in «Pravda». In this article L.D. Trotsky proposed some innovative ideas. In particular, he argued that the approval of party apparatus methods of leadership in the early Soviet years was accompanied by a growing isolation and the deformation of the Bolshevik elite image of the ruling party. Way out of the situation L.D. Trotsky saw in the movement of the center of intraparty life in the «rank and file» of the Russian Communist Party (Bolsheviks), subordination of the party apparatus to «rank and file». «The new course» aroused the sharp opposition of the Bolshevik elite initiating a major political-ideological campaign against «Trotskyism», the tone and the outcome of the campaign was determined by the «ruling clique» because of the situation of the centralized political regime. At the same time, the “ruling clique” impulses were relatively easy perceived by the «rank and file» of Communists, whose political experience suggested that in a one-party dictatorship calls for submission system and participatory democracy in the Russian Communist Party (Bolsheviks) are the threat of disintegration and self-destruction. As a result «the conservatism of the “ruling clique”» superimposed on «the conservatism of the “rank and file» showing not so much about the «evil machinations» of party careerists or «servility» rank and file Communists but about some publications claimed as about a general strengthening of centralist tendencies in all echelons of power.
1. Bazhanov, B. Vospominanija byvshego sekretarja Stalina [Memoirs of former Secretary of Stalin]. Moscow, 2002. p. 19 (in Russian).
2. Rogovin, V.Z. Byla li al'ternativa? «Trockizm»: vzgljad cherez gody [Was there an alternative? «Trotskyism»: a glance through the years]. M., 1992, Oleh, G.L. Povorot, kotorogo ne bylo: Bor'ba za vnutripartijnuju demokratiju. 1919–1924 gg. [Rotation, which was it not: The struggle for inner-party democracy. 1919-1924 years]. Novosibirsk, 1992, Demidov, V.V. Politicheskaja bor'ba i oppozicija v Sibiri. 1922–1929 gg. [The political struggle and opposition in Siberia. 1922-1929 years]. Novosibirsk, 1994, Reznick, A. Trockizm i Levaja oppozicija v RKP(b) v 1923–1924 gody [Trotskyism and the Left Opposition in the RCP (b) in 1923-1924]. Moscow, 2010 (in Russian).
3. Kruzhinov, V.M. Politicheskie konflikty v pervoe desjatiletie sovetskoj vlasti (na materialah Urala) [Political conflicts in the first decade of Soviet power (based on the materials of the Urals)]. Tyumen, 2000. Pp. 144-159 (in Russian).
4. Pravda [The Truth]. 1923, December 15 (in Russian)
5. Ural'skij rabochij [The Ural worker] (Ekaterinburg). 1923, December 20 (in Russian).
6. Centr dokumentacii obshhestvennyh organizacij Sverdlovskoj oblasti (CDOOSO) [Documentation Centre of NGOs Sverdlovsk region (TSDOOSO)]. F. 1494. S. 1. C. 195. L. 173 (in Russian).
7. Ural'skij rabochij [The Ural worker]. 1923, December 23, 24 (in Russian).
8. Sovetskaja pravda [Soviet Pravda] (Chelyabinsk). 1923. December 28; CDOOSO [TSDOOSO]. F. 4. S. 2. C. 146. L. 23 (in Russian).
9. Ural'skij rabochij [The Ural worker]. 1923, December 29, 30 (in Russian).
10. Ural'skij rabochij [The Ural worker]. 1923, December 30; CDOOSO [TSDOOSO]. F. 4. C. 2. C. 222. L. 40 (in Russian).
11. Tjumenskij oblastnoj centr dokumentacii novejshej istorii (TOCDNI) [Tyumen Regional Documentation Centre of Contemporary History]. F. 3. C. 1. C. 8. L. 20-23 (in Russian).
12. Gosudarstvennyj arhiv obshhestvenno-politicheskoj dokumentacii Kurganskoj oblasti (GAOPDKO) [State Archive of the socio-political documentation of Kurgan region]. F. 7. C. 1. C. 46. L. 2 rev. (in Russian)
13. CDOOSO [TSDOOSO]. F. 9.C.1. C. 2. L. 26 (in Russian).
14. Pravda [The Truth]. 1923. December 18 (in Russian).
15. CDOOSO [TSDOOSO]. F. 41. C. 1. C. 1178. L. 9 (in Russian).
16. Pavlova, I.V. Stalinizm: stanovlenie mehanizma vlasti [Stalinism: The Formation of the Mechanism of Power]. Novosibirsk, 1993. Pp. 71-78; Oleh, G.L. Partijnaja mashina RKP(b) v nachale 20-h gg.: ustrojstvo i funkcionirovanie [Party machine of the of Russian Communist Party (Bolsheviks) in the early 20's.: Structure and operation]. Novosibirsk, 1995. P. 118 (in Russian).