About the author:
Lyudmila A. Ponkratova,
Cand. Geograf. Sci., Associate Professor, Department of world Economy, Customs and Tourism, Amur State University (Blagoveschensk)
This article shows the disposition of Russia and China in the international service trade and the peculiarities of the dynamics and structure of this process. Russia in 2012 had the 22d position in the world in service export and the 14th in import. China had the 5th position in the export of services and the 3rd position in import. To count structural changes in trade in services the author of this article used the index of Riabtsev, developed as a result of the search for improved methods to measure differences in the structure compared to the index of Salai. The index shows
the ratio of the actual measure of the discrepancy in the proportion of components of structures with their maximum possible value. The index value ranges from 0 to 1 and reflects the measure of significance of structural differences. This method was used by the author to assess structural changes in export and import of services of Russia and China, as well as to identify the structural features of Russian foreign service trade with China. It was revealed that at high rates of growth of international service trade (primarily business), the structure of service trade depending on delivery methods, Russia and China did not show progressive changes, taking place in developed countries. In Russia’s trade with China, there are “significant” differences in export and “significant” differences in import from China in comparison with international trade in services as a whole. The main types of trade between Russia and China are trips, especially tourism, as well as “transport” and “Building Services”, indicating less progressive trade which needs to be improved. The tendencies of the development of international service trade between the two countries are identified in this article.
1. Manual on Statistics of International Service Trade. Geneva, 2002.
2. Djumulen, I.I. Mezhdunarodnaja torgovlja uslugami [International service trade].
Moscow, 2003. 315 p. (in Russian).
3. World Trade Report. 2013. URL: http://www.wto.org/English/res_e/reser_e/wtr_e.htm
4. The Central Bank of the Russian Federation URL: http://cbr.ru. (the date of access: 14.10.2013). (in Russian).
5. Regional'naja statistika: Uchebnik [Regional statistics: a textbook]. Moscow, 2001. 380 p. (in Russian).
6. China service trade. URL: http://tradeinservices.mofcom.gov.cn/c/2013-07-10/226108.shtml (accessed 07.10.2013).
7. Ministry for Commerce of The Republic of China. 2012. URL: http://www.mofcom.
gov.cn (the date of access: 07.10.2013).
8. Оloncev, S.О. Specifics of business relations of industrial companies in the Russian-Chinese trade cooperation. Vestnik Tihookeanskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta — The Bulletin of the Pacific Ocean State University. 2011. № 4 (23). Pp. 165-170. (in Russian).
9. Ponkratova, L.A., Chzhao, Xin. China's foreign trade: dynamics features and the assessment of structural changes. Nacional'nye interesy: prioritety i bezopasnost' — National interests: priorities and security. 2011. № 2 (95). Pp. 44-53. (in Russian).
10. Carevskaja, E.A., Ponkratova, L.A. Foreign labor force in the border region: the prerequisites for attraction, sectoral and territorial peculiarities of employment. Upravlenie jekonomicheskimi sistemami — Management of economic systems. URL: http://www.uecs.ru/regionalnaya-ekonomika/item/851-2011-12-15-06-09-19. (in Russian).