Release:Releases Archive. Вестник ТюмГУ. Физико-математические науки. Информатика (№7, 2014)
About the authors:Valery A. Tabarin, Dr. Sci. (Phys.-Math.), Professor, Radio Physics Department, Institute of Physics and Chemistry, Tyumen State University
Abstract:The paper considers one of the most promising and cost-effective ways to respond to the problem of determining bound water using equipment and methods of evaluation of its content by the dielectric properties of the geological formation using electromagnetic radiation of microwave (MW) range of wavelengths. Of particular interest is the use of microwave techniques for the assessment of water saturation of core material in the cases where conventional electrical methods are powerless or unreliable. Obviously, the most complete picture of the dielectric properties of matter can be obtained from the measurements of its complex permittivity εК . The paper presents the methodology and technology of determining the content of bound water in the cylindrical core samples with the diameter and height of 0.03 m. The developed technique for the collected samples of different composition with known values of porosity КП and residual water КОВ was tested according to the results of measuring their dielectric characteristics at microwave frequencies. The values of КП core samples ranged from 3 to 24%, the КОВ values ranged from 88.9 to 32.6%. Determination error of bound water does not exceed 10%.
1. Kobranova, V.N. Petrofizika [Petrophysics]. Moscow, 1986. 386 p. (in Russian).
2. Nait, R., Nur, A. Dependence of dielectric permittivity of core samplies at water saturation // Proc. of SPNLA, twenty-fifth annual logging symposium, june. 1984. Pp. 10-13.
3. Shen, L.C., Savre, W.C., Price, J.M., Athavale, K. Dielectric properties of reservoir rocks at ultra-high frequencies // Geophysics. V. 50. № 4. 1985. Pp. 692-704.
4. Zatsepin, G.N. Fizicheskie svoistva i struktura vody [Physical properties and structure of water]. Moscow, 1987. 171 p. (in Russian).
5. Zlochevskaia, R.I. Bound water in clay groups / In: Sviazannaia voda v dispersnykh sistemakh. Vyp. 3 [Bound water in disperse systems. Issue 3]. Moscow, 1969. 286 p.
6. Tankeeva, L. K. The study of bound water in clay sandstones / In: Sviazannaia voda v dispersnykh sistemakh. Vyp. 3 [Bound water in disperse systems. Issue 3]. Moscow, 1969.
286 p. (in Russian).
7. Liang, C. Shen. A laboratory technique for measuring dielectric properties of core samples at ultrahigh frequencies. Society of petroleum engineers journal. 1985. V. 25. № 4. Pp. 502-514.
8. Rau, R.N, Wharton, R.P. Measurement of core electrical parameters at ultrahigh and microwave frequencies. Journal of petroleum technology. 1982. November. Pp. 2689-2692.
9. Brand, A.A. Issledovanie dielektrikov na sverkhvysokikh chastotakh [Study of dielectrics at microwave frequencies]. Moscow, 1963. 403 p. (in Russian).