Release:2015, Vol. 1. №1(1)
About the authors:Nadezhda V. Dulina, Dr. Sci. (Soc.), Professor, Department of Social Work and Social Technologies, Volgograd State University; email@example.com
Abstract:The article is aimed at comparative research of the development of social networking in Russia and the United States. As in the case of Friendster, the significant role of the social component in the development of social networks is revealed. It is argued that social networks were initially oriented toward certain target groups, i.e. rock musicians (MySpace) or college and university students (Facebook). Account holders'risks and challenges related to the use of social media serve the key factor of the development of social networking, and overcoming those challenges is the condition of further improvement. Thus, MySpace faced risks related to the problem of pedophilia while Facebook had to solve problems concerning privacy. The article shows that the existing group structure of social media reflects the real social stratification. It is argued that social media users' risks varying in the two countries may serve a cultural factor. Vkontakte faces the risks of law nihilism (e.g. abuse of property rights and unlawful behaviour during secondary certificate state exams in Russia). It is stressed that Facebook is highly unlikely to dominate in cultures different from the American culture.
1. Baudrillard, J. Amerika [America]. St-Petersburg, 2000. 206 p. (in Russian).
2. Text of the Deleting Online Predators, Act of 2006. URL: https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/109/hr5319/text
3. Boyd, D. White flight in networked publics? How race and class shaped American teen engagement with MySpace and Facebook / / Race After the Internet. London: Routledge,
2011. P. 203-222.
4. Efimov, E.G. Sotsial'nye internet-seti (metodologiia i praktika issledovaniia): monografiia [Social Internet Nets (Method and Practical Research): a monograph]. Volgograd, 2015. 169 p. (in Russian).
5. Quan-Haase, A., Young, A.L. Uses and gratifications of social media: a comparison of facebook and instant messaging. Bulletin of Science Technology & Society. 2010.
№ 30. P. 350-361.
7. Sogrin, V.V. Politicheskaia istoriia SShA. XVII-XX veka [Political History of the USA. 17-20 centuries]. Moscow, 2001. 400 p. (in Russian).
8. Guliaikhin, V.N. Pravovoi nigilizm v Rossii [Legal Nihilism in Russia]. Volgograd,2005. 180 p. (in Russian).