Release:Vesntik TSU. Sociology (#8 ). 2014
About the author:Ruzilya M. Akhmedzyanova,
Abstract:This article characterizes the retail sector in European countries and its influence on the changing trends on the Russian general and regional consumer market development. We distinguished the following tendencies: retailers' dominance over suppliers is currently increasing, the market share held by major retailers with diversified chain store systems is growing, independent and cooperative retailers are experiencing corresponding market share losses and the level of market concentration is on a rise. Another tendency in the last years is the increase of the market share of the non-food segment. We noted a simultaneous decrease in numbers of specialty stores and an increase of trade formats with convenient locations and wide assortment of goods. All these tendencies appear to different extent in various countries. However, retail trade organizations are dominant in the most developed markets. These organizations have grown in size significantly, especially in the food sector. The article notes that in the framework of large-scale retail trade of food items, trade outlets of various formats are developing at the retail markets of different countries.
1. Barsukova, S.Iu. Balancing On A Thin Wire (Western Retail Chains In The Estimates Of Russian Entrepreneurs). JeKO — ECO. 2003. № 1. Pp. 42-55. (in Russian).
2. Davydenko, V.A., Khudiakova, M.V. Development of local retailers as a factor of regional competition at the consumer market [Razvitie lokal'nykh torgovykh setei kak faktor regional'noi konkurentsii na potrebitel'skom rynke]. III Vserossiiskii sotsiologicheskii kongress «Sotsiologiia i obshchestvo: problemy i puti vzaimodeistviia» (III Russian Congress Of Sociology "Sociology And Society: Problems And Ways Of Interaction"). 2008. URL: http://www.isras.ru/index.php?page id=906 (in Russian).
3. Kotel'nikova, Z.V. Particularities of retailers and retail formats in food sector of the Russian trade in the 2000s (regional aspect). Mir Rossii — World of Russia. 2009. № 3. Pp. 151-172.
4. Radaev, V.V. Komu prinadlezhit vlast' na potrebitel'skikh rynkakh: otnosheniia roznichnykh setei i postavshchikov v sovremennoi Rossii [Who Holds Power At The Consumer Markets: Relationship Between Retailers And Suppliers In Russia Today]. Moscow, 2011. 384 p.
5. Hannan, M., Freeman, J. The population ecology of organizations. Vestnik Sankt-Peterburgskogo universiteta. Seriia «Menedzhment» — Bulletin of St.-Petersburg University. Series "Management". 2004. № 3. Pp. 51-83. (in Russian).
6. Fligstin, N. Arkhitektura rynkov. Ekonomicheskaia sotsiologiia kapitalisticheskikh obshchestv XXI veka [Architecture of Markets. Economic Sociology of Capitalist Societies of the 21st Century] / Transl. by A. Kurakin; ed. by V. Radaev. Moscow, 2013. 392 p. (in Russian).
7. Smirnov, M. Discounter — It's Expensive. Russkaia Germaniia — Russian Germany. 2012. № 11. URL: http://www.rg-rb.de/index.php?option=com rg&task=item&id=5972. (in Russian).
8. Retail (Russian Market). URL: http://www.tradeviser.ru/index.php. (in Russian).
9. Retail In Europe — Results Of Research. URL: http://www.retail.ru/article/all_retail/retail_europe/ (in Russian).
10. Evtiugina, A.A. International experience of developing trade chains. URL: http://www.do.gendocs.ru/docs/index-228697.html. (in Russian).
11. Institute of Grocery Distribution, 1997-2001; List of supermarket chains in the
United Kingdom 2012-2013. URL: http://www.faits.fr/list_of_supermarket_chains_in_the_united_kingdom.