Release:Vesntik TSU. law (#3). 2014
About the authors:Ivan A. Tarasevich, Senior Research Associate, Expert Scientific Center for Counteraction to Ideology of Extremism and Terrorism, University of Tyumen; email@example.com
Abstract:In 2012-2013 amendments, concerning religious issues were made in the system of Criminal Law and the Law of Criminal Procedure. The amendments can be conventionally divided into two groups. The first group is aimed at the search of the new ways of the legal regulation in the sphere of religious security. These amendments refer to article 148 of the RF Criminal Code. The second group of amendments is connected with the legal regulation in other social spheres. However, these amendments have influenced the system of religious security norms. Such amendments were made in article 239 of the RF Criminal Code and article 151 of the RF Code of Criminal Procedure. However, both groups of amendments contain substantial drawbacks. Criminalization of a deed "public actions, expressing obvious disrespect to the society and committed to insult the religious feelings of the church people" (para 1 article 148 RF Criminal Code), is fallacious. After article 239 of the Criminal Code was amended to counteract the activity of foreign agents, many dangerous actions of religious groups were wrongly decriminalized. The analysis of article 151 of the RF Code of Criminal Procedure proves that at present nobody deals with the issue of counteraction to religious groups persistently. The authors suggest that the norms concerning the criminal responsibility for the illegal religious activity should be arranged into a separate article in the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation, thus the amendments in the Criminal Procedure legislation should be made. The wording of the amendments is given in the article.
1. The Criminal Code of the Russian Federation from 13.06.1996 № 63-FZ (as amended on 02.11.2013 ). Sobranie zakonodatel'stva Rossiiskoi Federatsii — Collected Legislation of the Russian Federation. 1996. № 25. Art. 2954. (in Russian).
2. Criminal Procedure Code of the Russian Federation from 18.12.2001 № 174-FZ (as amended on 02.11.2013 ). Sobranie zakonodatel'stva Rossiiskoi Federatsii — Collected Legislation of the Russian Federation. 2001. № 52 (Part 1). Art. 4921. (in Russian).
3. On Amending Article 148 of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation and Certain Legislative Acts of the Russian Federation in order to counter the insult of religious beliefs and feelings of citizens. Federal Law from 29.06.2013 № 136-FZ. Sobranie zakonodatel'stva Rossiiskoi Federatsii — Collected Legislation of the Russian Federation. 2013. № 26.
Art. 3209. (in Russian).
4. Kudriavtsev, V.N. Obshchaia teoriia kvalifikatsiia prestuplenii [The general theory of qualification of crimes]. Moscow, 1972. 352 p. (in Russian).
5. Kurinov, B.A. Nauchnye osnovy kvalifikatsii prestuplenii [Scientific basics of qualifying crimes]. Moscow, 1984. 181 p. (in Russian).
6. Dobrynina E. Russians favor tougher penalties for those who insult the feelings of believers. Rossiiskaia gazeta — Russian Journal. URL: http://www.rg.ru/2012/09/26/vera-site.html (date accessed 28.11.2013)
7. Tarasevich, I.A., Kirillov, D.A. Means of Criminal law to ensure the religious security of the Russian Federation: on the changes of 2012-2013 in articles 148, 239 of the Criminal Code of Russian Federation. Chernye dyry v Rossiiskom zakonodatel'stve — Black holes in the Russian legislation. 2013. № 5 . Pp. 50-56. (in Russian).
8. On Amendments to Certain Legislative Acts of the Russian Federation in the Regulation of non-profit organizations acting as a foreign agent, Federal Law from 20.07.2012 № 121-FZ. Sobranie zakonodatel'stva Rossiiskoi Federatsii — Collected Legislation of the Russian Federation. 2012. № 30. Art. 4172. (in Russian).
9. Fokin, M.S. Ugolovno-pravovaia kharakteristika organizatsii religioznykh ob"edinenii, posiagaiushchikh na lichnost' i prava grazhdan (diss. kand) [Criminal legal characteristic of the organization of religious associations, encroaching on the individual and the rights of citizens (Cand. Diss.)]. Perm, 2000. 183 p. (in Russian).
10. Satanists, arranged orgies, arrested in Mordovia. URL: http://www.annews.ru/news/detail.php?ID=176563 (date accessed 30.11.2013).
11. Miftakhov, R.L. Podsledstvennost' ugolovnykh del (Avtoref. diss. kand) [Jurisdiction of criminal cases: (Cand. Diss. thesis). Izhevsk, 2005. 24 p. (in Russian).
12. Demidov, A.V. Religioznye organizatsii destruktivnogo kharaktera i spetsifika preduprezhdeniia organami vnutrennikh del ikh kriminal'noi deiatel'nosti (Avtoref. diss. kand.) [Religious organization of a destructive nature and specificity of the warning their criminal activity by the Internal affairs authorities (Cand. Diss. thesis). Moscow, 2010. 22 p. (in Russian).
13. Dimitrova, E.A. Ugolovnaia otvetstvennost' za organizatsiiu religioznogo ob"edineniia, posiagaiushchego na lichnost' i prava grazhdan (Avtoref. diss. kand.) [Criminal responsibility for the organization of a religious Association encroaching on thepersonality and rights of citizens (Cand. diss. thesis). Krasnoyarsk, 2004. 26 p. (in Russian).