About the author:
Alexander V. Selyuk,
Cand. Econ. Sci., Associate Professor, Department for Mathematical Methods, Information Technologies and Management Systems in Economics, Institute for Finance and Economics, Tyumen State University
The banking institutions doing business in the Tyumen Region work hard to be more customer-oriented, but they gradually lose control of the overall decision-making process and are viewed as an attractive acquisition target due to their lower risk profiles as compared to all the other banks in the Russian banking industry. The Russian regional banks are heavily involved in loan transactions to trading companies and service-dominated businesses. Loans to trading companies and service dominated businesses represent a 56% part of their loan portfolios despite the fact that loans of this particular type are considered to be very risky and have the poorest collateral adequacy amongst the existing loan options. The overall investments made by regional banks in the industrial sector of the Russian economy are quite modest and the performance results of Tyumen-based banking institutions fully justify the trend in question. Due to a healthy spread between their loan and deposit rates commercial banks have a good income-generating power but at the same time they are not interested in making long-term investments in the real sector of the Russian economy. The growth rates for income-generating loans held by the Tyumen-based banking institutions are twice as high as their total asset growth rates.
1. The official website of the Tyumen Regional Department of the Central Bank of Russia. URL: http://www.cbr.ru
2. The official website of the Central Bank of Russia // www.cbr.ru
3. Bjulleten' bankovskoj statistiki [Bulletin of Bank Statistics]. № 6. Moscow, 2013. (in Russian).
4. Annual Report of the Central Bank of Russia 2012 (approved on May 08, 2013).
5. The official website of the State Committee of the Russian Federation on Statistics. URL: http://www.gks.ru
6. The official website of Closed Joint Stock Company “Surgutneftegasbank”. URL: http://www.sngb.ru
7. The official website of Open Joint Stock Company “West-Siberian Commercial Bank”. URL: http:// www.zskb.ru
8. The official website of Open Joint Stock Company “Bank of Khanty-Mansiysk”. URL: http:// www.khmb.ru
9. The official website of the Government of the Tyumen Region. URL: http://www.admtyumen.ru
10. Loan-Loss Reserve Regulations Set for Credit Institutions by the Central Bank of Russia (as approved on March 03, 2004 by the Central Bank of Russia, Order № 264-P, and amended on April 15, 2013)