Release:Bulletin of Tyumen State University. Ecology (№12). 2013
About the authors:Lev V. Razumovskiy, Dr. Geogr. Sci., Leading Researcher, Water Problems Institute, Russian Academy of Sciences
Abstract:This study provides an analysis of data on diatom assemblages from bottom sediments in Lake Karakel (the Karachay–Cherkess Republic). The sediment cores for analysis were collected in the deepest parts of the lake. The method of graphical analysis of diatom assemblages was applied. We discussed perspectives of using this new method for paleoecological reconstructions. The results of isotopic dating were used. According to the structure of diatom assemblages we distinguished the periods of natural sedimentation in the lake. Several time intervals with the dominanceof redeposited processes were established. Redeposited diatom assemblages are determined by characteristic variations of taxonomic proportions. In addition,we revealed the stages of lake ecosystem restoration after mudflows and other negative impacts. For these stages the main characteristic features in the taxonomic structure of diatom assemblages were distinguished. Our results are confirmed by other methods of lake sediment analysis (geochemical and lithological methods).
1. Moiseenko, T.I., Razumovskij, L.V., Gashkina, N.A., Shevchenko, A.V., Razumovskij, V.L., Mashukov, A.S., Horoshavin, V.Ju. Paleoecological studies of mountain lakes. Vodnye resursy — Water Resources. 2012. Vol. 39. № 5. Pp. 543-557. (in Russian).
2. Razumovskij, L.V. Water quality assessment based on the analysis of the structure of diatom assemblages. Vodnye resursy — Water Resources. 2004. Vol. 31. № 6. Pp. 742-750.
3. Razumovskij, L.V. Ocenka transformacii ozernyh jekosistem metodom diatomovogo analiza [Assessment of lake ecosystems transformation by means of diatom analysis]. Moscow, 2012. 200 p. (in Russian).
4. Razumovskij, L.V., Moiseenko, T.I. Evaluation of space-time transformations of lake ecosystems by diatom analysis. Doklady akademii nauk. Obshhaja biologija — Reports of the Academy of Sciences. General Biology. Vol. 429. № 3. 2009. Pp. 274-277. (in Russian).
5. Tushinskij, G.K. Modern and ancient glaciation of the Teberdinsky District// Pobezhdennye vershiny [Conquest of mountain peaks]. Moscow, 1949. Pp. 263–297. (in Russian).
6. Nesje, A. A piston corer for lacustrine and marine sediments. Arctic and Alpine Research. 1992. Vol. 24. № 3. Рp. 257-259.
7. Poljakova, E.I. Diatomovyj analiz. Metody paleogeograficheskih rekonstrukcij [Diatom analysis. Paleogeographic reconstruction methods]. Moscow, 2010. Pp. 126-160.(in Russian).
8. Ваttarbee, R.W. Diatom analyses // Handbook of Holocene Paleoecology and Paleobiology. Chichester: Wiley, 1986. Pp. 531-570.
9. Solomina, O.N., Kalugin, I.A., Aleksandrin, M.Ju., Bushueva, I.S., Darin, A.V.,
Dolgova, E.A., Zhomelli, V., Ivanov, M.N., Mackovskij, V.V., Ovchinnikov, D.V.,
Pavlova, I.O., Razumovskij L.V., Chepurnaja A.A. Drilling of sediments of Lake Karakel (the river Teberda valley) and prospects for reconstruction of the history of glaciation and Holocene climate in the Caucasus. Ljod i Sneg — Ice and Snow. 2013. № 2 (122). Pp. 102-111.
10. Shitikov, V.K., Rozenberg, G.S., Zinchenko, T.D. Kolichestvennaja gidrojekologija: metody sistemnoj identifikacii [Quantitative hydroecology: system identification methods]. Tolyatti, 2003. 463 p. (in Russian).
11. URL: http://www.radiocarbon.pl/